Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I wish they'd stop telling me I have no worries

  They keep telling me I have no chance of getting ebola.
  I want to believe it. I did believe it. Until they kept telling me that I had no chance of getting ebola. Now, I wonder.
   That tells you something about how much faith we have in the media. Or the government. Both.
   My common sense tells me that my life is threatened more by a neighbor texting while driving or by a lab attendant who is on the cell phone while labeling my samples.
   But when it comes to the dark stuff, like pandemics, we drop all common sense and become the kind of people you see on those reality TV shows. You know: Mud-diving tattooed chicks with guns.
   I know the odds are that the chicken salad I will eat tomorrow is more of a threat than the Islamic terrorists who hide bombs in their underwear to blow up airplanes so they can meet virgins in the afterlife. (My questions is, if you have a bomb in your drawers on your way to meet a virgin, what are the chances for a happy date?)
   But there I go, mixing logic with paranoia. Call me your average American middle class white guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: