Monday, November 28, 2011

Personal note from George (as in Bush) and Laura

     Imagine my pride when I opened the mailbox and saw a letter from former President George W. Bush addressed to me, with "PERSONAL" typed right there on the front.
     Inside, there was a real nice photo of George and Laura with their Texas ranch country stretching way out behind them, looking healthy and happy with big smiles. I think it was because he doesn't have to wear a tie any more. Laura still dresses nice, as if folks might drop by any time.
     I was warmed by the tone of the nice personal note, too. He wrote, "Laura and I are grateful for your strong support throughout our years in public service."
     Shucks, it was nothing special, George. I think Americans SHOULD stand behind their President, especially when our boys in uniform are fighting in faraway places to keep democracy strong. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. I heard a lot of your supporters, mostly Republicans, say so. They said no true American would talk trash about the President of our country when times are tough. We should stand together.
     I haven't heard much of that kind of talk from those people since you and Dick -- excuse me, I know folks around the White House all called him Mr. Vice President -- Cheney left the White House. It's almost as if those folks don't seem so passionate about respect for the President these days.
     Back to the personal note. It says here, beginning with the second sentence, "Now, we invite you to join us as partners in a new project: the George W. Bush Presidential Center at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas."
     Wow! I thought: A job offer! From the former President of the United States. And I thought he hardly knew I existed. I used to have a catalog of cowboy boots and the like around here. Wonder what became of it?
     Reading further, I really got fired up. Obviously, he had heard of my work as a journalist and writer, because he was mentioning that the "Bush Center will be home to my Presidential Library and Museum, where we will tell the story of my Administration" (I don't want to correct a former President, but I don't think administration should have been capitalized there) "and let visitors experience what it is like to serve as an American President during consequential times."
     I liked that little turn of phrase there, about serving in public office during consequential times. Maybe he'd have me over for a barbecue and we could have a soda pop and I could tell him about being a county commissioner during consequential times. Bet he'd like to hear some of THOSE stories!
     There was more, about standing together to promote shared ideals, which I agree this country could use a little more of, and then a sentence again about being "honored to have your support as partners in this important endeavor."
     And then he asked for a donation "of at least $25."
     Slipped it right in there, which, come to think of it, I learned is what politicians in general do really well.
     Bottom line is -- that's another favorite saying among Republicans -- "bottom line is," there will be no job with the museum, and, to be fair, there will be no $25 donation. The way I figure it, I lost a lot more than that in my investments in Halliburton, Mr. Vice President Chaney's firm, and I heard they did pretty well with contracts for cleaning up after the war in Iraq. Get it, "cleaning up"?
     Which makes me wonder: What kind of personal note did Chaney get? And those fellas out in Minnesota who raised millions for the GOP, and Grover Norquist, who owns something like 290 U.S. Congress members, just about all the Republicans.
     Bet their cards were prettier, and bigger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: