Saturday, November 19, 2011

At least the President we have can express himself

    I'm glad we have a President who speaks well in public.
    Perhaps it's because of the way my parents raised me. I share their respect for certain offices, such as the presidency of the United States, and for those who can stand up in front of a crowd and express a few thoughts in correct English, even if they do get help from a prompter.
    Most people I know who have aspired to any position of responsibility use notes, sometimes to the point where it's painful to watch them, let alone listen. For years, I have been a member of a service club that has numerous official meetings, with a whole protocol to follow, down to where do the visiting dignitaries sit, when are they introduced, and what is the correct terminology. The speakers make names for themselves, which is why by the end of some of their terms, the crowds tend to be smaller.
    Being a bit of an iconoclast, I do not always behave well at official functions. That's why I sometimes forget to let my wife know that it is a ladies' night, and that she is therefore invited. I can do without the nudges and pinches as I sit and glower, groan, fidget and sigh, waiting for the speeches to end and the pie to be served. I might have been raised to respect certain positions, but my lack of patience with people whose assessment of their importance relative to the title of their office betrays my best intentions.
    President of the bowling league is not in the same -- well, league -- as President of the United States. And too often, the lower the office, and the longer one holds it, the more likely they are to have an unfortunate over-estimate of their ability to speak without notes.
    But then I guess it depends on how well you relate to your speakers. Perhaps it's more acceptable in some circles to show more respect for the president of the rec league or the local horseshoe club than for the President of The United States.
   What I don't get is how anyone can excuse themselves for being rude to the leader of America because it's just politics. If you don't think there's politics in the rec league, you've never coached kids on the worse field in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: