Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Do Supreme Court Judges care about my health?

    It seems that just about anything we want to do, or stop, has to be run past the Supreme Court's justices.
    I'd rather have my doctors have a say in my health care. But they have their own problems dealing with the insurance companies who take my insurance premiums, then try to make a profit on the difference between my best interests and their own.
    My doctors used to complain all the time about the insurance companies. One invested in some equipment that would tell him early if I was developing a problem. Then the insurance company wouldn't reimburse him for the costs of using it.
    Everyone says you can cure almost anything if you catch it early, but the insurance companies seem to spend more money telling you not to get sick in the first place. Any doctor will tell you that finding lung cancer with X-rays is like learning of an earthquake from the weight of the building that just fell on you. CT scans are much better for early detection, but insurance companies don't want to pay  for the costlier CAT scans.
    I get notes and emails with tips for diet, healthy habits, exercise and all that. Very helpful, and more positive than the notes I get about medications my doctor orders for me; the insurance companies want to make sure I realln need those medicines, and can't I go with something less expensive?
    Lately, though, more of my doctors' complaints are about government bureaucracy, all the rules and regulations and paperwork they have to do to stay out of trouble with Big Brother.
    Funny, though; when I remind them that these are the same complaints they have with insurance companies, they stop for a moment and nod.
    What it comes down to is this: No one should get between my doctor and me when it comes to my health care.
     If what I pay in health care insurance doesn't pay for those executive limosines and six-figure executive salaries, they should make a case for raising their rates.
     And as far as Uncle Sam is concerned, I wish he spent more time on getting rid of the frauds who are preying on the public, and less time arguing the politics of whether the government should be involved at all.
     The government has been involved in health care for years, with oversight of the insurance companies, and through the courts -- lawsuits and criminal proceedings against the few who are caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
     Meanwhile, if you follow the cooking crumbs to the real rascals, you'll find yourself on the doorstep of one law firm or another. Or a politician's office.
     This is America, and we are in the 21st Century, so let's stop using 19th Century excuses for not meeting basic health needs for every citizen. Most civilized nations with paved roads have a more enlightened program for public health care than America does, so let's catch up, but keep the government's role to equitable funding and eliminating fraud.
     Let the doctors decide what patients need. Pay them for their knowledge and the hours they spend keeping up with the latest news and practices. The public has an interest in subsidizing the availability of vital medications, rather than letting the market take pills away from people who need them, just because the profits are no longer there.
    We share a culture, so we share all that it represents -- including bad habits and bad luck. If you live in this country, you should be entitled to basic health care, and you should be proud that you are a citizen of a compassionate nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: