Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Static in our connected culture

     I'm not sure we're as well-connected as the hype contends.
     Sure, any twit can tweet their twerps instantly almost anywhere with trivia of the moment, but try getting hold of your doctor. A real person in the doctor's office, I mean.
     Technology advances have allowed telemarketers to find me as I am sitting on the toilet, but if I try to get hold of my cable company, phone or utility provider, medical services or even the same salesmen who called me when I was indisposed, chances are I'll get a recorded menu.
     Then there is the touted paperless society -- reason given for requiring that I have 147 passwords, each with different rules (upper and lower case with numbers, no numbers, yadda) to go on line to access my accounts for banking, social security, insurance -- everything.
     I used to plan trips on a travel site, for which I had a sign-in and a password. Over time, I forgot either the sign-in or the password -- the site is vague about that when it denies me access to "my" account. After three tries, I am shut out. For my safety. So, I no longer use that travel site. When I try to create a new account, it tells me I already have an account, please sign on to that. There is no phone number to call.
     Same deal with a timeshare account; I can't use the thing, because whenever I sign in, some little troll in the system tells me I have only two choices, neither of them during the times I can travel. The troll obviously has not been introduced to the salesman who promised us we could buy one condo and visit thousands around the world.
     Back to the doctor; stress problems. Once I breach the walls, I go in and find that I have to fill out forms. Again.
     What did you do with the info I gave you on my last visit? If they can't keep track of my name, address, social and phone numbers, who knows where the files on blood pressure, etc., went.
     And it's not just one doctor; I see half a dozen for various ailments, and they're all the same.
     Can't blame the doctors, though; they don't run their offices. The Women do. The Women are tired of inconvenient calls from needy and cranky patients, and they are united in their crusade to restore order to the chaos.
     In our overly connected world, they have found ways to screen the incoming calls, and take it slower. Can't say I blame them, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: