Monday, January 9, 2012

Satellite trash of the month club?

     Remember when you could wait with great expectations the arrival of your "Book of the Month Club" selection? Even if you didn't select it.
     If you forgot to send the cancel card in, they were going to send you a book. And the invoice for it. I put together a nice library by the time I was 25.
     I don't know if they even have a book of the month club any more. They say books are on the way out, and everybody will be reading tomes on their smart phones. Or on the Kindles or whatever. I like the feel of a book in my hands -- or in my lap when I awake from the dozing off part of enjoying a book. With the electronic devices, I'd waste a lot of batteries.
     I saw an item on line the other day about how many satellite trash events we can expect in the new year. Instead of a book arriving that you didn't order, you might have a piece of space trash the size of a school bus come crashing through your roof.
     That's progress for you.
     The odds of being injured by actual trash is like 14 million to one, but the odds of worrying about it as you lie there in the dark at night is closer to 100 percent.
     One of those polls said that 78 percent of the people surveyed think about space trash falling on them more than five times a day. I didn't actually see the poll, but the odds that somebody took such a poll are 98 percent.
     How would we get through life without the instant polls? Apparently, if you have nothing of substance to write about, or no one smart enough to find something interesting, you run a poll.
     I wonder why, because polls show that 75 percent of people don't place any credence in polls. But 88 percent have participated in one in the last month.
     I think what would be really interesting is to start a pool on where and when a piece of satellite junk will land. The winner would split half the earnings with the people who got hit -- if there's anything left of them.
     Gives you something to root for, between reading or participating in polls.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: