Friday, September 23, 2011

One absolutist's sin is another's virtue

     The latest criticism of President Obama is that he has been too moderate, or not liberal enough, which is in stark contrast to the continuing criticism that he is too liberal, or wishy-washy.
     He is, indeed, all of the above, depending on how big a fruitcake the critic.
     We have lots of absolutist fruitcakes; I know, because I have had the distinct displeasure of dealing with them on a professional basis.
     When he was candidate Obama, I didn't know anything about him, except that with a name like that, skin like that, and intellect like that, he didn't have a chance in American politics; he should live in a more enlightened country, like Kurdistan. I'm kidding, a little.
     The more he talked, the more I liked what I heard, but I had liked the message before, only to be disappointed with the delivery of the goods, or lack thereof.
     In the past, what got in the way of Doing The Right Thing was political expedience, known in some circles as compromise, and in others as selling out.
     To be a truly great leader, you will have success if you can do three things simultaneously: Stick to your principles; sell out; and make it look like you did both and neither at the same time.
     I said before he took office that President Obama would not be as liberal as his liberal supporters expect, nor would he be as conservative as he needed to be to satisfy the cave persons over there in the dark. I was right, of course, which really, really ticks off my wife and friend Dave, because I keep reminding them that I am always right, and they sputter in their attempts at refuting the obvious.
     My point was based on my perception that here was a very bright and articulate man, essentially a decent and well-educated human being, who wanted to go down in history as the Great Peacemaker. He wanted to bring Americans together for common goals. Problem is, there are no common goals; it's mostly Us versus Them.
     He wanted to restore respect for America on the world stage. Problem is, the jingoism (often mistaken for patriotism) in this nation leaves us blind to how we are seen even by our allies. I said allies, not friends. We have no friends.
     Eavesdropping on an intelligent conversation about the state of politics today (I had to tune in a public radio station), one participant summed it up: Mitt Romney has tottered to the Right because he needs those votes in the Republican primary elections; Rick (Marlboro Man) Perry is already over there, but is finding out not all Republicans think like Texans; and Obama has become the strident, more assertive soldier for social issues because, as the lady on the radio said, There is no place in American politics right now for moderates.
     Okay, I've been saying that for a couple of years, but still, combined with still another rainy day, that makes me want to check out the sunshine in a truly enlightened country, like, say, Canada.
     I'm kidding, but only a little.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reasonable comments are welcome: